Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sylph Glass

What started as a gasp of awe at the sparkle and glint of sunlight bouncing off a majestic leadlight window has evolved into a passion for all things glass.
That perfect piece of fused glass jewellery using dichroic glass and sterling silver, that piece of glass art which captures your imagination, the world being seen in a different light through suncatchers and stained glass leadlight windows or  that magical song of a windchime being played by the breeze. 
In 2009 I entered 5 pieces in the DeVetro art glass competition and gained 1st place in both the leadlight window and the Kiln worked glass categories,  second place in the fused glass jewellery category and attained a highly commended in the stained glass suncatcher and and lampshade categories.
As an artist, I have yet to find something that beats the feeling when I finally get to see a challenging design as a whole and complete creation. When I am able to lift the glass piece as a whole to see the colours true  with the light behind them, or behold the completed piece of contemporary jewellery after the final polish... when my breath catches in my throat because the piece is so much more than my minds eye could imagine.
That 'WOW! I can't believe I created that!' feeling is what I chase.
Welcome to Sylph Glass


 100_5771.JPG
 100_5582.JPG
100_5023_0001.JPG

100_5214.JPG